Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bikram Yoga - So Totally Not My Bag!

In true Try It Girls fashion, I tried it, and without question, I will never try it again.  Don't get me wrong, loads of men and women love sticky, sweaty, impossibly hot yoga and I guess I can see the draw.  I was able to bend in ways that I would have never thought I could and the amount of sweat that was dripping off of me could justify a really intense workout, but all in all, not my bag.
When I arrived the place looked really cool, stone floor, flower arrangements, it almost had a spa like feel.  I met Tasha and Jennie in the waiting room.  After a couple minutes I decided to get the party started and take our places in the room.  Because I had never seen the room before and was entering into it incredible dim (both the room and myself)  I had no idea where I was going and who I was stepping on.  I immediately, thought this is a mistake.  The carpet on the floor put me off, as the thought of hundreds of sweaty people rolling all over it made my stomach lurch, and the heat was so intense that I wanted to turn around and run.  I found an open spot for the three of us to take our places and laid there thinking, "how am I going to get through this?".  Then the class started.  WOW, really intense instructor.  I am already struggling to keep the contents of my stomach in my stomach.  Bikram is a series of 26 poses in a 90 minute time frame.  It was the longest 90 minutes of my life.  Leave?  Yeah, right.  I was way too scared of the instructor.  She had told us at the beginning, "You are not to leave.  Your goal is to stay in the class.".  So, I stayed.  I was pouring out sweat and I'm not even a sweater.  I reached my goal of staying in the room, but didn't get to all 26 poses.  After class I took myself straight into the showers...naked.  And no, I am not an "openly-strip-down-shower-in front-of-other-women-in-a-group" person, but I had to.  It was the only relief I could get.  I was purple, not bright red, but purple.  As I walked out of the studio chatting with Tasha and Jennie, I decided right there on the spot, never again.  Good for them for giving it another go, but for me?  I am happy practicing yoga in room temperature.  But there is only one way for you to experience it and that's to TRY IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE to hear form you! Thanks for leaving us a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...